Friday, April 15, 2011

Recuerdos de Tortilla

   The tortilla española is a food that is particularly close to my heart.  Some of my fondest memories have revolved around this very food, and cooking it causes those times flood back into my consciousness.  The photo above is from Valentine's Day 2008, which I shared with my gorgeous and quintessentially Spanish roommates and Brazilian classmates during my 6 months abroad in Galicia.  
   We had a little tortilla fiesta during which I had the pleasure learn from the girls how each of their families traditionally made tortillas.  The gallegas debated the austurianas intensely over how many eggs to use and whether it was okay to add onions.  I learned the answer to a very important question that day.  Who makes the best tortilla in the world?  Your mom does.
 
   Going out for tapas and drinks with friends is most definitely my favorite Spanish ritual.  It was during those times that I learned the most when I was studying abroad.  It's about conversation, good food, and just generally enjoying the little pleasures of life.
   The following are some photos of my best times munching on tortilla, queso, pulpo, y más with my Spanish, Greek, English, Turkish, American, German, Brazilian, Japanese, and Swedish compadres in Spain.  Food and drink brought us together from all corners of the globe in a particularly unique way that I can barely describe in writing.


I love drinking wine out of tiny bowls.

And finally, since this post is about tortillas, here is my recipe for Tortilla Española.

4 small to medium-sized Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup olive oil
4 medium eggs
1 small onion diced
1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms (optional)
Salt and paprika to taste

Fry potatoes in olive oil until golden brown.  Remove from frying pan with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.  You'll want enough potato chunks to make an even layer in your frying pan.  Reserve the frying oil in a cup for cooking later. **A non-stick frying pan makes this recipe a LOT easier!**

Cook onions and mushroom in some of the leftover oil until just softened.  I don't always add mushrooms to a tortilla, but occasionally I like to add them for texture.

Whip up the eggs and mix with the potatoes, mushrooms, and onions in a bowl.  Add a little of the olive oil to your frying pan (you can use the same frying pan you have been using through this recipe).  Add the egg mixture to the pan. Shake the pan to keep the tortilla from sticking to the bottom.  You can also use a rubber spatula and run it around the edges of the tortilla to ensure that it is not sticking.
Okay, here comes the tricky part.  Flipping.  This is one of the main things that makes a tortilla different from a frittata.  Take a plate that is larger in circumference than you frying pan and place it upside down over the pan.  Hold the pan in one hand and place your other hand on the plate.  Flip the entire pan over onto the plate so that the entire tortilla is sitting on the plate, cooked side-up. Slide the tortilla back into the frying pan and continue to cook and shake until it feels firm to the touch. 

Once cooked, flip the tortilla onto a plate or a cutting board and you'll have a nice little potato cake.  Sprinkle a bit of salt and paprika over the top while it's still warm.

You can slice it up into triangles or squares and eat it right away while it's warm.  Or, and this is how I prefer it, chill it in the fridge and eat it cold.  Purists may eat it plain, but plenty of us eat it with a healthy squeeze of ketchup on top.  And there you have it.  A little slice of Spanish tradition.  It makes a great meal for any time of the day, or the perfect snack with a cold beer.  It doesn't seem like much, but it is high on my list of favorite comfort foods.

1 comment:

  1. KETCHUP?!?!?

    You make tortilla different than me. Yours looks delicious anyway.

    And you need to come back to Spain

    ReplyDelete