Sunday, April 24, 2011

I eat fish a lot...

As a waitress, my "weekends" tend to be on random weekdays.  So, this happened to be my Tuesday night off dinner celebration.  I often buy tilapia as my star protein for meals and vary between more and less creative ways to prepare it.  I walked through the produce section of Kroger that afternoon looking for the best-looking veggies.  I initially picked up some pretty lame-looking asparagus, but, since it's in season, I figured it would taste the best.  After a little more wandering I discovered bundles of broccolini and bulk carrots on sale!  So, I ditched the asparagus and decided on a side dish of garlic carrots and broccolini.   I love cooking fresh veggies, but I like to be cost-conscious about it, otherwise I buy frozen.


 2 Tilapia fillets (I cut the thinner sides of two fillets off and froze them, leaving the two thicker pieces above)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup crushed crackers (I had some leftover club crackers, but any type would work fine as long as they're crushed fine)
1 tsp Adobo seasoning
Black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

1 bunch of broccolini
3 carrots 
Salt for seasoning the water
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbsp olive oil


Slice the carrots to a similar thickness to the broccolini, put in a pot, and cover with water.  Add some salt to the water and boil until you can stick a fork into the veggies without too much effort.  Drain and set aside while you prepare the fish.

Mix the parmesan cheese, cracker crumbs, Adobo, and black pepper on a plate.  Dip fillets in a little milk and dip into the breading mixture.  Try to pack as much of the breading onto the fish as you can with your hands so you'll have a nice crust.

Preheat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat (non-stick is best to keep the crust on the fish instead of in the pan!).  Cook fish for about 4 minutes on each side.

To finish off the veggies, add the other 2 tbsp of olive oil to the same pan you boiled in.  Add the minced garlic until right before it starts to brown on medium-high heat.  Add the veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes just to get the veggies good and garlicky, not to cook them any more.

I served up our fish and veggies with a lemon wedge than added a nice little bit of acidity to counter the salt and the garlic in the dish.  As you can see, we ate this dinner with some cider.  Overall, a fairly quick and easy Tuesday dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm...I love fish. And the carrot/broccolini mixture looks really good, too. I'm glad you ditched the lame-looking asparagus! :)

    ReplyDelete