Monday, February 28, 2011

A quick nod to Cakewrecks

Yay!  I used my new mixer for the first time last week.  Isn't is awesome?  It came with dough hook, whisk, and standard mixing attachments AND a spatula.  Thanks Mom!
  


  Anywho, I read about 5 blogs somewhat regularly and 3 of them happen to be food blogs.  Cakewrecks is one of them.  It's like a failblog for professionally decorated cakes.  Maybe that doesn't sound so funny to you, but let me tell you, it's hilarious.  http://www.cakewrecks.blogspot.com/  The Cakewrecks author is a funny lady and often has posts dedicated to cakes decorated in chocolate icing in extremely unfortunate shapes.  More about that later. 

  So last week I made a cake because I had cake mix.  It was pretty tasty.  Here are a few photos:

Mixing up the Duncan Hines Butter Golden cake mix.  Yes, I condone bake cheating.  Now, I think most things taste better if made from scratch, but cake from a mix just tastes so good! 

This is the mix in the greased and floured pan.  I included this photo because I was amazed at how much the cake mix increased in volume, but you can't really tell with my sub-par photography.

I cut the cake into 2 halves so I could layer it and used a homemade chocolate buttercream icing.  Easy peasy.  It's just butter, shortening, cocoa, powered sugar, and a little milk.  No measurements necessary, in my book.  Just get it to the consistency and flavor that you like.  An electric mixer help when you like really fluffy icing.

Back to my Cakewrecks reference.  So I iced the cake and had a good amount of icing leftover.  The author likes to point out that many professional bakers make swirls of chocolate icing that very unfortunately look like swirls of poo.  Generally it's unintentional, but it's hard to think of anything else when looking at a brown swirl of any kind of paste.  So poop-swirl trim it was on the Tuesday cake!  I'm 23 and poop jokes still make me laugh.  What can you do?


Chocolaty, buttery goodness.  NOM.  My next post will be slightly more experimental and will include a recipe, not to worry.  Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment